Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Gluten-Free and Vegan Burger

It’s my every 4th week Gluten-Free posts.  This week, the recipes are not only GF but “Vegetarian” and “Vegan.”  For vegan diners, you will need to change out one ingredient in the Thursday recipe.

But first, back to talking about Gluten-Free concerns.

I’ll use “Costco” for my example.  If you have ever been to a Costco store, you know they are great about sampling foods they sell.  Most of the sampling is not GF but they do some.  On occasion, they even have days they push gluten-free foods.

I happen to take my grandchildren with when I go.  They think Costco is a neat experience and they get “Fruit Snacks” which are GF.  That helps them with not getting to try many of the samples.

I had really never thought about this, but one day they were sampling some GF bread.  They toasted the bread and put butter on it.  All sounds and looks good here.  Right?

But then you remember that they sample other breads, toasted, with jams on occasion.  Then it hits you, they use the same toaster for both samplings.  It now creates “Cross-Contamination” for one who needs to be GF.

It’s not a free sample for someone who really needs to be “Gluten-Free” in their lifestyle.

I guess what I’m getting at today, is if you are watching out for others that need to be GF, you need to be thinking all the time about your choices.  It’s a bummer but it’s a fact of life for a GF person.

Back to this week’s recipes.  I have a “Middle Eastern Falafel Burger” for you to try on Wednesday.  It is tasty and even meat eaters will enjoy the dish.  That’s especially true because on Thursday, “Tzatziki Sauce for Burgers” is the topping to use on this week’s burger.  The sauce will work for many other dishes too.

So give them a try and “Happy Cooking” until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment