Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Gluten-Free Breads

As I see it, "Breads, etc." are the biggest problem in eating a "Gluten-Free" diet.  The vast majority of products and recipes you can find just don't meet with satisfaction.  It is mainly because of what "Gluten" does for breads, pastries and all other baked goods.

Lucky for me and many others, we can eat those products.  I guess it is lucky for my blog assistant too.  She will never remember having gluten products because she stopped eating them at 2 1/2 years of age.  But for those with "Celiac" or having gluten issues, it's hard to find good satisfying products.

In my network, I've been introduced to a couple of recipes that better than any others I've tried.  So this week I have 3 recipes for you.

The first (tomorrow) is for a flour blend.  This blend ("Brown Rice Flour Blend") is used in the bread recipe on Thursday.  One of the biggest improvements with this blend is that the finished product is not gritty as you find with most gluten-free recipes for baking.  It also doesn't leave an after taste that you get with many of these products.

Using the flour blend recipe from Wednesday's blog, we have the recipe for "Gluten-
Free Bread (Best I've Found" on Thursday.  This bread has qualities of regular gluten bread.  The slices bend easily.  They are soft too.  There are some special handling to remember because it is gluten-free bread.  Do not try to slice it until it has completely cooled.  In fact, it doesn't hurt to refrigerate it for awhile before slicing.  A good idea is to slice the whole loaf and than freeze what you don't use immediately.  I'd freeze in packages of 2 slices each.  You can also freeze the whole loaf and slice later when you need it.  This recipe makes 2 loaves.  I have not tried it yet but will be in the near future.  That is to make hamburger buns with this recipe.  I will let you know how it turns out.

On Friday the recipe is "Soft Gluten-Free Wraps/Tortillas" and they work well.  This recipe uses tapioca flour and grated cheese as the main ingredients.  They are a little sticky.  We have found that "parchment paper" is best for pressing the dough into flat tortillas.  Again these work well freezing after they have been cooked.  You just need to let them thaw in the refrigerator and then warm up a little to make them pliable.

I hope you enjoy these recipes.  Please give me feedback on how they work for you.  "Happy Cooking" until next week and don't forget to pass my food blog link on to family and friends.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment