Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Apple Season is Coming Soon

It's getting to be late August and I've noticed green apples on trees as I drive.  As a kid there was nothing better than to sneak into a yard with green apples ready for picking.  Most people gave you permission but a few didn't want anyone in their yards or at their trees.

In fact I remember one summer that I would go out and get apples for a pregnant lady (and close friend) next door.  It was her craving that summer.  We got those apples from the yards we shouldn't have been in because they just seemed to taste better.

Now that I'm a little older, I still look forward to apple season.  Only now I  go buy them at apple farms.  There so many more varieties today than I can remember as a young person.  There are great ones for baking, salads and of course just eating.  I'm not going into which ones you should use for what today.  You can check that out yourself if you want to be precise on each use.  I tend to use the ones I like because of flavor.

One of the newer varieties of apples are "Honeycrisp" and they seem to be the most expensive too.  It doesn't matter what apple or apples you like as long as you enjoy them.  So get out there and check out this years crop as it arrives in your location.

I have two tasty recipes for you this week using apples.  The one tomorrow is "Salted Caramel Apple Pie" and it comes from my friend, Candee.  On Thursday I have "Apple-Stuffed Crepes" for you to try.

So enjoy trying these recipes and pass them on to family and friends.  "Happy Cooking" until next week and please share my blog link too.

No comments:

Post a Comment