Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Breakfast Dishes with Potatoes

"Potatoes" at breakfast makes one think of the side dishes you get with your eggs.  You know the obvious ones, hash browns (shredded or diced Southern style) or American fried potatoes.

Personally, I prefer the shredded hashes with my eggs (no matter the style of eggs).  But like them even better when you melt slices of cheese on those hash browns.  Varying the cheese flavor helps keep them interesting too.

American fried potatoes are another way I like my potatoes.  For those of you that don't what American fried potatoes are;  they're sliced potatoes that are pan fried in oil or butter (combination is best).  They are seasoned and fried to a nice browned crust.

I'm not a fan of the Southern style hash browns.  These are diced and have seen them in various sizes of the dice.  Most of the time they are deep fried.  If I  wanted that, I'd just get French fries of some kind.

These are not the only types of breakfast potatoes available to you.  Some will make potato cakes using shredded potatoes.  On Thursday's blog post, I have a variation of these (Mashed Potato Pancakes) using mashed potatoes.  They make a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes.

Another way to use potatoes in the morning is to use them in breakfast casseroles.  Here I've found the best potato to use is the frozen shredded hash brown.  Just be sure to thaw them before using.  Usually placing the bag in the refrigerator the day before in enough time for them to thaw.  On tomorrow's blog post I have a recipe called "Hash Brown Egg Bake (GF)" which can be Gluten-Free.

For those needing "Gluten-Free", the key here is the brand of frozen hash browns you buy.  Not all brands are Gluten-Free.  I  have found "Mr. Dell's" and "Ore-Ida" brands to be marked Gluten-Free.

When making most breakfast casseroles, you find bread of some kind as an ingredient.  I love them and they are great dishes.  But there are times when you want something a little different.  The recipe using hash browns this week is just one of many out there for you to try.

So "Happy Cooking" and see you again next week.  Remember, please spread the link to family and friends.  Also, let me know if you have questions too.

No comments:

Post a Comment