Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Visit to Tenuta's Store

I now have some of my cookbooks on hand to sell and so I went on a trip to sell them in 3 cities over the Labor Day Weekend.  One of the cities I visited to sell some cookbooks was Kenosha, Wisconsin.  My wife's family is from there and most still live in the area.  We had a great time and I tested some of the cookbook and blog recipes on the family.  All the food was a great hit.

For those of you that have bought and read the cookbook, you know that Kenosha is home to my favorite ethnic grocery store.  That store is Tenuta's Delicatessen and we naturally paid it a visit.  Our youngest child refers to Tenuta's as my Amusement Park because I'm just like a child wanting to see everything and all of it right now.  Well he is probably correct.  I do enjoy my visits there.

My brother-in-law, Dan, introduced me to the owner of Tenuta's this time.  Ralph is second generation in operating this great establishment.  He was very kind and gave me a sample of one of the many cheeses they sell.  It was a white Merlot Cheese and tastes divine.  Ralph and I had a great conversation about the store and it's history.  I purchased a lot of different items I can't find back home and know I'll be going back again some day (like next summer).
300 lb. Provolone Cheese

The photo in today's blog is of their 300 pound piece of aged Provolone cheese that hangs in the store.  This cheese comes in already aged but is aged even longer at Tenuta's.  While this one is hanging around aging, they have the previous hanging one in back getting cut up for sale.  Ralph tells me that they go through 8 to 10 of these 300 pound blocks a year.  This is just one of the many kinds and brands of cheeses they sell.

I bought some of their homemade Italian Sausage for the family party we had.  I  did a variation of the Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions recipe from the cookbook with them.  It was a great time with lots of good food.

Please check out Tenuta's Delicatessen at the following link.   Tenuta's Delicatessen

No comments:

Post a Comment