Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Time for Fall

I believe summer officially comes to an end today.  At least when I was young all the seasons ended and started on the 21st of the month.  Now I know that my life hasn't been that long, but something tells me it's been long enough, that the seasons have moved a day.  Whatever, fall arrives this week and that means we change our eating habits a little.

We have been eating a lot of summer fresh vegetables and fruits and cooking on the grill as often as possible.  Now with the coming of fall, we start to eat more fall vegetables and fruits.  Comfort foods start appearing on our tables for meals along with soups and stews too.  Holidays are just around the corner and so we start thinking about those special meals and what are we going to make this year.

I really hate to say this but we are like other mammals in the wild.  We start to stock up food in our bodies as we get ready for winter.  I thought that was a nicer way of saying, we all start to put on weight.  But it is true and that is why everyone has a New Year's Resolution of losing weight.  We tend to be less active than we have been through the summer and we're eating heartier foods.

My wife, I'm sure, is not happy to read what I have just written as she tries to follow Weight Watchers and my cooking does not.  I mentioned a dietitian yesterday.  Well, Julie tells me that it is alright to eat everything but remember to do it in moderation.  That self control is tough and I do try and help my wife meet her goals.

The recipes that will be featured in the blog this fall will be the fall and holiday types foods.  I will be doing more desserts or treats than I have in the past.  It is not an area that I do a lot in but know that people following the blog would to see more.  Personally, I'd rather have another portion of some starch or bread than something sweet.  Claudia, on the other hand, doesn't believe it is a complete meal without a dessert.

Thank God we're all different.  Because if we weren't, life would be extremely boring.

Thursday and Friday this week are recipes.  The recipe tomorrow is for squash and Friday's is a simple fish recipe.  I hope you enjoy them and if you have questions for me, please send the questions to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment