Thursday, August 18, 2011

Spice Grinder for your Kitchen

You know how I'm always telling you that my favorite places to shop are Kohl'sFood Network and QVC for the kitchen.  This week I received my Kohl's peel off promotion and had a 30% off one.  I've been waiting for this to happen because I wanted a spice grinder.  Well I bought this past weekend for just over 31% of the retail price because of their sale price and the extra 30% off.  Now that is saving on something you want or need.  I also had the money to pay for it and so there is no reoccurring interest.  That's what I call a GREAT deal.
New Spice Grinder

I've got some kitchen need ideas for Christmas with our 4 children.  I'm just waiting for QVC to have the right item at the right deal.

What's a spice grinder ?  What everyone uses is really a coffee grinder.  However, you don't want to use your coffee grinder to grind herbs and spices too.  It will give your coffee a very different taste because it is very hard to clean the grinder well enough to use for coffee again.  It is best to have two grinders if you grind your own coffee.  Just make sure you keep them straight as to their use.  If you don't want to use a grinder with your herbs and spices, there is always a mortar and pestle.  This just requires a little more elbow grease.

Why would I want one?  When you grind your own herbs and spices just before cooking, it adds so much more flavor to the food.  For herbs you want to use dried ones to grind into powder.  With spices it takes a little more work (but the results are worth it) as you need to toast the spices first.  To do this, take a large saute pan over medium heat and add the spices you want to grind.  Heat the spices in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes and then remove to a dish and let cool to room temperature before grinding.  Make sure that you have only a single layer of spices in the pan.  Also, don't over fill the grinder.  Do small batches when grinding.

Enjoy playing with your food and getting that great flavor when you grind your own herbs and spices.  Mom won't even yell at you for the playing but thank you for the meal.

Tomorrow is crab cakes for our recipe.  Enjoy them and have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment