Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pasta is good with just butter and cheese.

Before we start with more about pasta, I have to attach this link.  The St. Joseph News-Press did an article on me in yesterday's paper.  I hope you enjoy it. St. Joseph News-Press.

Now let's get back to pasta.  Your standard pasta shapes that are found in the United States are:  Angel Hair, Spaghetti, Linguine, Fettuccine, Ziti,  Rotini and Penne.  These are great to use but can get a little boring.  I have mentioned trying to find Ethnic Stores in both the cookbook and this blog.  I'm just reminding everyone that my favorite one is in Kenosha, Wisconsin.  It is called Tenuta's.  They do have an on-line store but the pasta choices are limited.  They have a great selection of imported Italian pastas in the store.  When we are in Kenosha, I will stock up on my favorites which include Gemelli and Orecchiette.  They both hold the sauce very well and are a little heavier than American made pasta.  The first one is about 2 1/2 inches long and looks like two pieces twisted together.  The other one kind of reminds you of ears.  Also remember that in Yesterday's blog I gave you a link to a company that make organic pasta.  Please check them out too.  I have a link here that has various posters of pasta shapes and their names.  Check it out at Pasta Shapes.

One of the neat things about pasta is that it can go well with something as simple as melted butter tossed with the pasta and sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese to a sauce that took six hours to make.  My children were sometimes picky eaters and I always know that spaghetti with butter and cheese would satisfy them.  It is really a comfort food.

If you don't have great choices of pasta types and shapes, then travel a little and find some.  In this modern day, I guess you could just order them on the internet.  Look for easy sauce recipes too.  Yesterday's link had those as well.  Be adventurous and shake up your boring pasta & sauce life.  Remember, you're only limited by your imagination and taste-buds.

Tomorrow is a recipe for "My Chicken Alfredo" which won't make my dietitian happy.  It is full of butter, cheese and heavy cream.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment