Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Mexico Trip


I visited Mexico in late January this year looking for more interesting recipes to share.  I found a few that I will be sharing sometime in the near future.  But today I want to share an experience we had while in Mexico.

One of the side trips or adventures we tried while there was fishing.  We were in a 31 foot boat fishing with 5 or 6 rods at a time.  The rods were set for catching different varieties of fish.  We were lucky enough to land 5 different species of fish.  Only 4 of the species were for eating.  In the course of the day we caught over 15 fish.

We only kept one of each edible varieties which were; Mahi Mahi, Snapper, Tuna and Permit.  Each were between 8 and 15 pounds.  The tuna being the smallest.  The rest we gave to the captain and his first mate.

Before I tell you about what we did with our fish, I have more to tell about the fishing trip itself.  We had rough waters that day.  The winds were high and the swells were well above the height of the boat.  Three of the four fishing experienced sea sickness that day.  I believe all for the first time in our lives.

Fortunately the winds let up and the day ended calm.  All had an enjoyable adventure and recovered quickly from the bouncing around.  I recommend trying a fishing trip if you like fishing and/or just like eating fresh fish.

It doesn’t get any fresher than having the chef at the Japanese restaurant at the resort fix your catch.  We asked if they would do it and they said yes.  So we gave them our 4 fish and said please surprise us with your expertise.  We were not disappointed.

He and his staff fixed 14 different dishes using our fish.  They ranged from raw courses to cooked entrees.  On Wednesday and Thursday, my blog postings will show photos of the dishes they created.  I’m sorry that I can’t give you exact names of each dish.  But they were all incredible in presentation and taste.

Enjoy and “Happy Cooking” until next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment