Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Desserts for Holiday Season.

It seems hard to believe that the holiday season is upon us.  This year has gone way too fast.  But here it is - November with "Thanksgiving" and "Hanukkah" just a few weeks away.  "Christmas" and "New Year's" are just around the corner.  I'm sure most of you are like me and not ready for this season.

Well it's not too late to plan and execute for the dinners and parties of the season.  Take a sheet of paper for each event and start making notes.  Are you hosting or being a guest?  If you're hosting, how many are you expecting?  What type (sit-down & pass the food, buffet) of meal do you need to plan?  If you're a guest, what do they want you to bring?  Get the menu together and start on items that can be made early.  Don't leave everything to the last minute.  Remember, if you have guests coming - let them bring a dish to help.  That way they feel a part of the gathering.

This blog is full of recipes that can help you with some part of this season.  Look it over and pick out a few to compliment your own traditional dishes that are required.  It's always nice to have some new items to balance all those favorites of family and friends.

For this week, I'm offering 2 desserts you might want to try during the holidays.  The first is an "Upside Down Pumpkin Dessert" and goes well with Thanksgiving.  I like about anything pumpkin and it's a shame that we don't use it more throughout the year.  It is available year-round.

The second is one I've not tasted.  I don't like raisins and especially cooked raisins.  But this is my grandmother's "Sour Cream Raisin Pie" and everyone that has eaten it, absolutely love it.  My grandmother died back in 1962.  Since than my mother has kept a tradition alive making this recipe she grew up on as a child on the farm.  If you like raisins and have never tried this type of pie, I'm told you're in for a treat.

I entered another "Chili Contest" a few weeks back.  I didn't win with the judges but those eating wiped my pan clean.  I know a judge.  So this week I'll get some feedback.  Based on the input, I'll do some tweaking for the next time.  I make a chili with beans and one without.  It's the without one that I enter in contests.  This was only the second time in a contest.  I'll keep you informed as I do more in the future.

Again, get started on your holiday planning and "Happy Cooking" until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment