Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Guess Size Does Matter

I have just moved from a population of around 10,000 people (plus 7,000 plus university students) to a city of around 110,000 inhabitants.  I was in the "Ville" as it is referred to by locals for 23 years.

Now I'm a foodie or I wouldn't be doing this blog.  I have shopped at the Hy-Vee grocery store in Maryville for those 23 years and found it to be a great store for a small community.  They continued to expand and evolve to give the residents a very good variety of food choices.

Yesterday I visited one of the Hy-Vee stores in Rochester.  It is about 50% larger than its counterpart in Maryville.  That means more space to fill.  So this brings on more variety of products to choose from in every area of the store.  Add to this the fact that Rochester is much more diversified in its population too.

As our youngest always says "I'm in my favorite theme park" and I hope to take advantage of it.

Because I'm into cooking I'd take advantage of the big cities around Maryville (Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines and even Kenosha, WI - favorite Italian store-Tenuta's).  Many people living in smaller communities don't do that and then limit their cooking choices.

I'm going to take advantage and try to expand my recipes for you from my additional sources.  There are 3 or 4 Hy-Vee stores and another being built as I write.  Costco is also coming to Rochester.  Another favorite of mine.

In expanding recipes because of more choice for me, it could be hard for those whose choices are limited.  So I will continue to work with foods that are convenient for those from smaller areas.  When I do use something difficult to obtain, I'll tell you how to find it or give you a good substitute.

More on this tomorrow and a couple of recipes on Thursday and Friday.  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment