Thursday, July 21, 2011

Leftover Turkey

Today's blog is a short one, but I think it will give you an idea of why I talked turkey yesterday.

Thanksgiving dinner is great and you anticipate the meal for several weeks in advance.  However, it is the leftovers that can get you going.  There is no sandwich better than a turkey sandwich from the leftover turkey the next day.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When I cook the bone-in turkey breast for a dinner, I already have plans for what I'm going to do with the leftovers.  That is why I buy a big breast.  I want to be able to get at least 4 total meals out of it.

I'll calculate how much I think will go in that first dinner and then figure how much I want or need for those sandwiches.  I'll always use the carcass and make a soup or some homemade gravy.  Sometimes I'll go for "Hot Turkey Sandwiches" with mashed potatoes and that gravy packet if I didn't make gravy.  If it has been a while, I might try it "a la King" or as "Turkey & Noodles."

When it comes to leftover turkey, the dishes you create are only limited by your imagination and taste Buds.  So try a bone-in turkey breast sometime and enjoy all it has to offer.  Don't forget that you can freeze some for later.  That way you don't OD on turkey and think of changing your Thanksgiving menu.

Turkey Pot Pie is the recipe for tomorrow.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as my wife and I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment