Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Planning a Special Holiday Dinner

Well "Thanksgiving" is over and all the leftovers should be gone too.  Now everyone starts thinking about the next holiday dinner, whether it is "Christmas" or another religious holiday in December.

Most everyone had turkey for their main entree at "Thanksgiving" and usually many try something else for "Christmas."  Some of the main choices may include ham, crown pork roast, prime rib, whole roasted beef tenderloin, rack of lamb and leg of lamb.  This is just a few of many possibilities for you, family and friends.

This week I have included two recipes.  The first is for a "Rosemary & Thyme Rib Roast" using a boneless standing rib roast.  The other one is for a "Roast Tenderloin of Beef with Black Peppercorns" and is not as spicy as it sounds.  If you're a beef person, you can't go wrong with either of the choices.

I'd suggest trying the "Fluffy Horseradish Sauce" recipe that will appear on Friday of this week as a bonus.  A horseradish sauce is always great when serving prime rib.

The tenderloin recipe mentions a sauce too.  Here, however, I tell you to use a package mix.  I believe the "Knorr" makes the best packaged dry mixes on the market.  I have used their "Bearnaise Sauce" mix for more years than I care to remember.  The sauce always comes out great.  All you have to do is follow the directions.  It only calls for butter and milk besides the mix.  Please give it a try anytime you have need for a Bearnaise sauce.  And I won't mess around with any other brand if I were you.

Now based on using one of these two recipes for your special dinner, next week I will offer several side dishes to go with the beef.

Both of these pieces of meat are pricey.  However, for a once a year trill you really should try one.  I would figure 8 to 10 ounces per person for the rib roast.  The tenderloin you can figure 6 to 8 ounces.  It is a very lean piece of meat.  My suggestion would be to add a little to the weight so you can enjoy some leftovers.

I don't know about you but I'm counting down the days to "Christmas" just thinking about these two recipes. Enjoy and "Happy Cooking" to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment