Thursday, April 14, 2011

Have pictures now!

9 1/2 & 11 inch Skillets
I had some feedback on wanting to see pictures of the pans I mentioned in the last blog.  I think that I've mastered the photo piece and will try to add them here.  The first photo is of a 9 1/2 and 11 inch skillet.  They are hard anodized cookware and you can notice how the sides slant.  The second photo is of a 5 quart covered saute or sauteuse pan.  Here you will notice the walls are more straight up and down.  I'd have to say this is my favorite pan. Our third photo is of a cast iron frying pan.  I had also mentioned that one could use a wok pan for many of the same needs as any of the pans already discussed.  So the last photo today is of a 12 inch wok pan.

5 qt. Covered Saute or Suateuse Pan



What pan or pans you get for your kitchen depends a lot on your budget or what may have been given to you by a family member or a friend.  I received a comment on the first blog from a relative that stated one good pan is much better than three poor pans.  I have to agree.  Go for the best quality of a pan or pans that you can afford.  If you take good care of them over time, then they will take good care of you and your cooking.  The pans in these photos are my personal pans.  I hand clean them and they never see the inside of a dishwasher.  They are very easy to clean.  Just use a little soap, water and a dishcloth on them and be  
Cast Iron Frying Pan
sure to dry them good.  The cast iron frying pan takes a little more work in the drying part.  Cast iron will rust on you if you don't get them completely dry.  The best way to dry cast iron is to set them on the stove and turn on the burner.  As they heat up the cast iron drys.  Remember to let them cool down before putting them away.  Cast iron also needs to be seasoned before you ever use one and may occasionally need to be seasoned again.  An easy way to season a new pan is to pour a little oil in the pan.  Using a paper towel, spread the oil all over the pan and that includes inside and out. Once you have the pan well oiled, place it in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour.  Carefully remove and let cool.  You may want to repeat the process one or two more times before using the pan for cooking.

12 inch Wok Pan


I hope the photos have helped give you a better understanding of the different styles of pans.









  


1 comment: