Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fall is Officially Here & We Start Changing Our Eating Habits

Fall is here, at least for those of us in the northern hemisphere, and with that comes changes to our eating habits.  We start eating more fall harvest foods such as the many different kinds of squash (butternut & acorn are my favorite).  Pumpkins come into play and not just for use in a pie.

As we go through the fall season I'll try to give you some perspective of familiar foods and recipes.  However, I will try to introduce you to some foods and recipes you are maybe not accustomed to as well.

It seems that as the weather starts to cool down and the leaves change and fall from trees, we start eating heartier and heavier foods.  I'm not sure if it because of some relationship we have with the other animals of the world.  But we tend to put on some weight in the fall and continue into the winter like bears or squirrels.

The lighter fare of the spring and summer seem to pass away and we think the heartier foods will keep us warm throughout the fall and winter seasons.  I think that is one of the reasons many people make  a new year's resolution of losing the weight they have gained in the last four months of the calendar year.

This week will have three recipes for you to try.  The first two are recipes I've run across and happen to like on occasion.  I will change them up a little as I do with most recipes I find.  The third dish is where I've taken two recipes and used parts of each to make another one.  I did this one to give some vegan friends/family another recipe to try in their diet.

The first uses pumpkin in the recipe for a sausage and pasta dish that surprised several that I have served it to in the past.

The second one is for a slaw recipe that includes cranberries and walnuts (two fall foods) and gives you a nice break from the usual cole slaw recipes you get in restaurants.

The last recipe of the week uses apples in a vegan dish with rice.  A vegan would probably have this as a main dish.  I think, however, most people will use it as a nice side dish with a pork or ham entree.

Please give them a try and let me know how they turn out for you.  Have a great week and thanks for following my food blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment