Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Breads for Passover and Easter

We have some holidays coming up very soon.  Passover starts on March 30th and Easter is Sunday, April 1st.  So this week I’ve got a couple popular baked items for you.

Wednesday there is a recipe for “Basic Challah” bread.  Then on Thursday, we have “Hot Cross Buns” that offer something a little different.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not that comfortable with baking.  My area of fun is in cooking.  So I have a few pieces of information that I hope will help you feel a little more comfortable then before you read this today.

Yeast is one of my bugaboos.  I have trouble getting the yeast to activate and make things rise.  So when using dry yeast, you want the temperature of the liquid to be 105-110- degrees.  By liquid I mean water or milk.  It depends on the recipe as to what is called for in this part.

If you have sugar as an ingredient, it usually goes in here with the yeast.  The key thing about yeast, if it doesn’t start bubbling or frothing up, it’s not going to help your dough rise.  So if it doesn’t bubble or froth, start that part over again.  Because you don’t want to waste your time and money making something that turns out bad.

If you buy yeast in a jar, once opened it needs to be in a refrigerator.  Also, be sure to check the “use by date” because that can affect it too.

That’s enough for today.  So enjoy trying these recipes.  Keep a good handle on using and storing yeast.  Last, but not least, “Happy Cooking” and please share the link with others.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment