Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Starting Gluten Free Series

My Blog Assistant
Over the holidays my blog assistant (granddaughter) was confirmed to have "Celiac Disease" and has to become "Gluten Free" for the rest of her life.  At 2 years and 8 months of age, she is (in my opinion) luckier than many who don't find this out until later in life.  Those that are diagnosed in their teens or later to have Celiac or be "Gluten Sensitive" have a much harder time adjusting their eating habits.

She is also lucky that it is 2015.  Gluten Free food has come a long way from what was available 20, 15, 10 and even 5 years ago.  Now how can I say she is lucky?

Well I've always been an optimist.  But she won't remember what foods with gluten tasted like as she gets older.  Her gluten free lifestyle will be all she knows.  Plus there has been a tremendous increase in awareness, information, diets and quality of recipes over the years.  Also, all of this is only going to continue to improve the lifestyle of gluten free people.

Those individuals that have to go gluten free later in life now have to give up foods that have been a common part of their diet.  They have come to enjoy the tastes of these gluten foods.  The gluten free foods aren't there (in my opinion).  But they are improving all the time.

So because "Gluten Free" has touched my life and I am considered a "Foodie" my blog will now start to address this area.  Starting with this week, my food blog will deal with GF problems and offer GF recipes every 4 weeks.

I will try to offer resources for websites, support groups, GF cookbooks and other recipes that I feel will help those with this problem and for those who support them.

Your help is needed too if you have knowledge in this area.  Please send me items that you think can help everyone dealing with a GF life.  I thank you in advance for your input.

I will continue tomorrow addressing some concerns and offer some resources for you to use or even pass on to individuals in your circle needing GF help.  Thursday I have a recipe for "Gluten Free Corn Bread" that I think is very tasty.

Thank you and "Happy Cooking" until next week.

1 comment: